Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Ruler

I finally got to see a ruler in use in Mobile Frame Zero and the effect it has on the game at PAX East.  Before this point I had always used a tape measure.  The reasons behind this are twofold.  One, Im a little bit old-school.  Two, the original design of the ruler is awful.  Sorry, Vincent and Joshua, it just is.  The one Joshua used when running his game is a "whip" of 1x4 Hinge Bricks about nine pieces long.  Heh, its a Nine-Section Whip Chain.  :-)  The main body of this brick measures 1.25", each hinge adds 0.25".  With one unit of movement being roughly 1.5" -- there is overlap where the hinges connect -- this allows mechs to move farther on each turn.  At one point, under the old rules, there was an optional rule that allowed a mech multiple activations if they possessed multiple Initiative dice.  Under this rule you could attack multiple times but move only once.  Now I understand why.  Although I wonder what a game would look like with a modification of that rule allowing double movement only if you use a tape measure to measure movement?

I believe Ill be making a Ruler before I play again though.  I cant wait to see what effect it has on my gameplay.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment